Interesting story! The only time I've actually seen a head crash was on an old 3330 where I had just popped in a RES pack. I walked over to the hardware console to IPL - the old 3270 where you had to type L1/A2 or whatever those commands were. The hardware console told me I had an I/O error, and there was a red light on the device. I pushed the button to open the 3330 drawer and there were bits of disk head all over the inside.