From a friend:

I believe the head crash story is true. I worked in The Mill and had heard about that. Lending credibility to that story was another: that on hot days in the summer, before the Mill was air conditioned, lanolin used to seep out of the wooden floors and you could easily slip and fall. Before DEC bought the Mill, it was a woolen mill. You could still smell the lanolin in many of the buildings when I worked there, so I tended to believe those stories. Another - not so benign - was that during the years when circuit boards used to be manufactured there, waste chemicals (including lead solder, etching acid, etc.) were dumped into the pond next to one of the buildings. This pond fed into the nearby Assabet river. DEC had to do quite a bit of cleanup, but the pond was never completely cleaned (last I heard), it was eventually just sealed off so that whatever was left remained there and didn't pollute the river anymore. Wouldn't want to eat any of the fish out of that pond. There were surely many other stories that I never heard.