On Fri, 3 May 2019 15:57:34 -0400, Brian Chapman <bchapma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>We have a vendor debugging product that is constantly causing 0C1 and 0C4
>abends since we have upgraded to COBOL 6.2. It also caused these abends
>when we were at COBOL 4,2, but the abend rate has grown considerably after
>the upgrade.
>
>The vendor has produced countless patches, but so far they have not
>resolved the issues. We were notified today that they believe they
>understand the issue. They are stating that even though our COBOL compiler
>is set with ARCH(8) (to support our DRE machine), LE run-time is
>recognizing that the program is COBOL 6.2, running on a z14, and
>automatically switch the ARCH level to ARCH(12). They believe the run-time
>execution is exploiting the new Vector Packed Decimal Facility and
>producing erratic behavior.
>
>I searched through several presentations and IBM manuals for COBOL 6.2, and
>everything I have found states that a recompile with ARCH(12) is required
>to take advantage of the new facility. Is the vendor correct?

I've never heard of that and I wouldn't expect IBM to ever do something like
that,
but heck, what do I know.  ;-)   LE shouldn't be trying to outsmart the person
that
compiled the code (IMHO).

1) Have you verified the options in a compile listing are as you expected?

2) Are you running ABO and could that be involved?  Although I know nothing
about
configuration ABO (I have never "seen" or used it), even if you were I woudn't
think you would have it configured to use z14 instructions.

If LE really is doing this, why even have an ABO product.   I certainly would
open
an SR with IBM LE support about it.

Best Regards,

Mark