SmartTest  giving you problems?

Missing me?

Most of the technical guys are gone.  I think the only guy left is Ken someone
or other.  If it's Frank A. You're f'd.

If you got a name let me know.

Tom Spina

On May 3, 2019, at 3:57 PM, Brian Chapman <bchapma...@gmail.com> wrote:

We have a vendor debugging product that is constantly causing 0C1 and 0C4
abends since we have upgraded to COBOL 6.2. It also caused these abends
when we were at COBOL 4,2, but the abend rate has grown considerably after
the upgrade.

The vendor has produced countless patches, but so far they have not
resolved the issues. We were notified today that they believe they
understand the issue. They are stating that even though our COBOL compiler
is set with ARCH(8) (to support our DRE machine), LE run-time is
recognizing that the program is COBOL 6.2, running on a z14, and
automatically switch the ARCH level to ARCH(12). They believe the run-time
execution is exploiting the new Vector Packed Decimal Facility and
producing erratic behavior.

I searched through several presentations and IBM manuals for COBOL 6.2, and
everything I have found states that a recompile with ARCH(12) is required
to take advantage of the new facility. Is the vendor correct?

Thank you,

Brian Chapman