So, what I see that needs to be done to get this work done is:
Cobol program does its processing, calls a paragraph in itself.
This paragraph strings the needed information to a large character
data area in XML format.
variable1-name variable1-value
variable2-name variable2-value

etc.
It calls a program named CBL2REXX, written in C, with the REXX program
name and the data area as parameters.

Program CBL2REXX
Parses the XML area character by character.
When it gets to the end of variable1-name and variable1-value,
it creates the C variable named variable1-name with the value variable1-value.
Loops back to repeat for variable2-name and variable2-value until it
runs out of data.
Then it calls the REXX program name with the variables it has created.

The REXX program reads these variables and returns.

The CBL2REXX program then reads the updated variables and moves them
back to the large character area with the XML data and returns.

The calling program then parses the area to update the cobol
variables.  The paragraph ends and the work is done.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:33 PM Paul Gilmartin
<0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 17:23:35 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
>
> >No, I mean that SDSF would have to accept a parameter for the associative
> >array and have some way to update it. Only after IBM implements can can they
> >provide for calling SDSF from COBOL. The hard part is updating SDSF.
> >
> Or bridge code to invoke SDSF with the (documented) Rexx interface;
> use IRXEXCOM to extract the values it sets and either set the corresponding
> COBOL variables or return a canonical form such as XML that COBOL could
> parse to populate an associative array.  SMOP, but no update to SDSF.
>
> I did something like that decades ago on CMS: I simulated a call from Rexx
> to SQL/DS; extracted values with EXECCOMM; and populated values in a
> Mainsail main program.  Mainsail was very friendly -- compiled in debug
> mode it made its symbol table (and compiler!) available to its foreign
> language, making it easy to use source language constructs to set host
> variables.
>
> Alas, when I last looked, Mainsail's domain name was for sale.

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA