On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 16:52:14 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>> I know of no documented interface, not even including EXECOM,
>>to extract a complete description of the data represented by a Rexx compound
>>symbol.
>
>What's wrong with IRXEXCOM and IKJCT441?

<Black team mode>
Imagine that a black box, possibly Rexx, possibly a host command
interface has set unknown members of compound symbol X. in
unknown ways.  It might have done:
    X. = 'Blanket'
    X.PI = 3.14
    Empty = ''
    X.Empty = 'Vacuum'
    drop X.WEIRD

Can a program knowing none of this except that unknown members of X.
have been manipulated discover with IRXEXCOM that:
    There is a tail, 'PI' such that X.PI has value 3.14
    There is a tail, null-string, such that the corresponding value of X. is
'Vacuum'
    There is a tail, 'WEIRD', such that the corresponding value of X. is
undefined
    For any other tail, the corresponding value of X. is 'Blanket'.

A similar question applies to STEMPUSH/STEMPULL.
</Black team mode>

>OTOH, there is no documented interface for a REXX variable pool not created by
>REXX.

IRXEXCOM can set Rexx variables.  Can't it create new ones simply by setting
them:

-- gil