From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Binyamin Dissen
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2019 12:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Any way to set the PKM in "open code".

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:57:12 -0700 Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

:>> Key0 is much much more dangerous than supervisor state (IMHO)

:>Interesting. I never thought of that, but I agree. Which is the more
likely
:>error?

:>- You accidentally code some privileged instruction that you did not
intend?

Perhaps with a wild branch. Or you branch to user code.

:>- You code the wrong register number in an instruction, or destroy or
forget
:>to initialize the contents of a register (at least on some code paths), or
:>register gets incremented too far?

Supervisor state does not you to accidentally overwrite storage in a system
key. You need to set the PSW key or use one of the explicit keyed
instructions.

:>Charles
:>
:>