Are you saying the records are just one per physical block and that by
conventional usage the file should be defined as BLKSIZE=200 with no
LRECL?   If this is a file with a very large number of unblocked records
using a physical block size of 200 or less, it would obviously be an
incredibly poor choice for DASD space utilization and performance --
which suggests the file size is not that large.

The issue of whether REXX is a good solution long term depends on the
volume of data involved.  If talking about 100,000 records daily maybe
look for more efficient solution than REXX.   For small record volume,
take the first solution that works.

If you know for certain that the maximum physical blocksize is actually
200, I would be tempted to try specifying a more-conventional overriding
"BLKSIZE=200" on an input DD for the file and see if that gets any
better results trying to use the standard utilities to generate a
RECFM=VB,LRECL=204,BLKSIZE=??? (SDB or suitable value) output file.

At one point I think SORT required you to explicitly specify that you
wanted short records to be extended and the padding byte if you
specified fields that extended beyond the size of the record.

If the vendor-generated file is from one of your vendors, I would be
sorely tempted to do some vendor education to improve their
understanding of z/OS.  If it is a vendor of one of your customers, that
obviously is not an option.
    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing