Finally got my mount issue straightened out and got to try your suggestion.
IDCAMS REPRO gave errors trying to copy to the Unix output file, but IEBGENER
worked just fine.

This did not work:

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//INP      DD DISP=SHR,DSN=weird.recfmu.file,
//            RECFM=U,LRECL=222,BLKSIZE=222
//OUT      DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(KEEP,DELETE),
//            PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT)
//SYSIN    DD *
  REPRO INFILE(INP) OUTFILE(OUT) REUSE
//

Results in this message in JESMSGLG:

IEC141I 013-34,IGG0199G,TSOUSER9,STEP0100,OUT

And these messages in SYSPRINT:

  REPRO INFILE(INP) OUTFILE(OUT) REUSE
IDC3300I  ERROR OPENING ...PATH=.SPECIFIED...
IDC3321I ** OPEN/CLOSE/EOV ABEND EXIT TAKEN
IDC0005I NUMBER OF RECORDS PROCESSED WAS 0
IDC3003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS 12

IEBGENER with similar JCL works though:

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1   DD DISP=SHR,DSN= weird.recfmu.file,
//            RECFM=U,LRECL=222,BLKSIZE=222
//SYSUT2   DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(KEEP,DELETE),
//            PATHOPTS=(OWRONLY,OCREAT)
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//*
//STEP0200 EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1   DD PATH='/tmp/TMPFILE',
//            FILEDATA=TEXT,PATHDISP=(DELETE,KEEP),
//            PATHOPTS=(ORDONLY),
//            RECFM=V,BLKSIZE=254
//SYSUT2   DD  DISP=(NEW,CATLG,CATLG),
//             DSN=not.weird.vb.copy,
//             UNIT=SYSDA,SPACE=(CYL,(20,20),RLSE),
//             DSORG=PS,RECFM=VB,LRECL=254,BLKSIZE=0
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//*

The "not.weird.vb.copy" file comes out as a normal VB file with all the right
BDW/RDW prefixes and no LF or NL or other line delimiters at the end.

Thank you!

Peter