[Default] On 24 Jul 2019 08:24:17 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main
000001439e1549b6-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu (S B) wrote:

>Thisis a simplified description of our environment (for thesake of this
>discussion)
>

>Weare running  z/OS V2.3 and using CA’ MIM
>
>Wehave two LPARs – LPAR1 Development and LPAR2 Production – there two LPARs
>areshared DASD but separate JES2 Spools and not SYSPlex. We
>have"PDSESHARING(NORMAL)" in IGDSMS00 and clearly onlyhave SMSPDSE running.
>
>Somedevelopers  have PDSEs for their “.JCL” datasets. We used to receive
>requests to restore their datasets because their PDSE datasets were
>“corrupted”. At that time and as part of the problem resolutions (and CA'
>recommendation) we added the following entries to the MIM (CAMIMGR)and that
>seemed to solve the issue (we did not get any more calls for
>“corrupteddatasets”

My complaints about PDSE are that it is even less safe to share PDSEs
across sysplexes than it is to share PDSs and that PDSEs are not
available at NIP, i.e. SYS1.NUCLEUS, SYS1.PARMLIB, SYS1.LPALIB,
SYS1.LINKLIB and other IPL data sets must be PDS's and not PDSEs.  The
former problem may be taken care of enough by allowing sysplex sharing
if that mechanism also can handle GDPS.  The latter problem in my
rarely humble opinion was the same customer surly short-sightedness
that didn't allow SNA 327x devices to be consoles at NIP.  The PDSE
restriction bars a path to migrating to FBA just as the latter
restriction required my employer to have 2 Bi-Sync local 327x
controllers to avoid single points of IPL failure.

Clark Morris