When we were first pitched COBOL V5 at SHARE, my immediate reaction was: What
about shops that share load libraries outside a single sysplex? We were not one
of those shops for historical reasons, but I had previous involvement with
shops that used one large shared library for use by multiple LPARs. Traditional
PDS libraries were always at risk, but PDSE--required by COBOL V5--were sitting
ducks.

It is quite possible to create a migration tool that can transmit a load module
to multiple PDSEs in multiple sysplexes, but until COBOL V5, there was little
incentive to make this radical change. For me, a major impediment to COBOL V5
was not COBOL itself but creation of a whole new cross sysplex migration
mechanism. That would affect folks beyond developers. The real kicker was that
the migration tool would have to be created and implemented enterprise-wide
*before* the first COBOL V5 was rolled out. Daunting.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company