I mis-wrote.

My LPALSTxx and PROGxx do not utilized the &SYSR1 variable.  Only on the APF
statements is it used.  Sorry for the confusion.

All the datasets except for the VSAM (ZFS) on my the volume I use for SMP/E
target and IPL are cataloged with &SYSR1 for the volume name.  Even
SYS1.NUCLEUS, SYS1.LPALIB, and SYS1.LINKLIB, which must be on the IPL volume
anyway.  Except for SYS1.PARMLIB and SYS1.PROCLIB, which are cataloged using
****** for the volume name.  I've had IPL issues when not using that
convention.  But usage of that special volume name implies they are on the IPL
volume.