From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 4:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Case TS002648607 (PMR 76523,082,000) - Compiler abend

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 17:33:56 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Be careful what you ask for - you might get it. It's one of the things that I
>don't like about REXX.
>
>ObHamlet "And make us rather bear those semicolons we have, then fly to
>continuation conventions that we know not of"

( C 'then' 'than')

Why?  I find Rexx pleasantly consistent there:
An instruction is terminated by:
o A newline not preceded by a comma
o Or a semicolon
Spaces are irrelevant
Newline and semicolon are highly interchangeable.

Compare POSIX shell conventions.  Are they even documented?  For example:
542 $ for I in 1 2
>     do
>         echo $I
>     done
OK, but:
544 $ for I in 1 2; do; echo $I; done
-sh: syntax error near unexpected token `;'

-- gil