On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 7:05 AM Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw <
lenni...@rsmpartners.com> wrote:

> Bob,
>
> I think ITschak's words are good advice.
>
> However, I am concerned at your statement,
>
> "The problem, of course, is that if I'm authorized to submit jobs with
> USER=<region> on the JOB card then I can submit ~any~ such job, to do
> anything I want that the region can do."
>
> The CICS transaction runs under the security context of the region userid.
>
> Are the CICS users explicitly authorised to do job submission?
> Are security checks made against the requester of the CICS transaction?
> Is the CICS user involved at all?

As best as I can see, the answer is "No". The simpliest way to submit a job
using CICS is the EXEC CICS SPOOLnnnn API. Just do a SPOOLOPEN with a
USERID of INTRDR. Then use SPOOLWRITE to send the JCL. The submitted job
will run with the userid of the CICS region, unless there is a valid USER=
(and possibly PASSWORD=) on the JOB card. There is no RACF security on this
that I can see.

more info:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGMCP_5.1.0/com.ibm.cics.ts.doc/dfht5/topics/dfht52p.html

There may be a way to totally disable job submission from a CICS region
using the JESSPOOL profile, but I don't know that for sure. I am guessing
for the really security conscious, they could write an XEIIN exit and "do
something" when a SPOOLOPEN is attempted. I guess it's a case of "trust the
programmer to not introduce a security exposure" (no offense, but most
programmers I know are not really security conscious -- they just want the
users & management to be satisfied)

--
I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go
into the library and read a good book

Maranatha! <><
John McKown