Alan, thanks. We've spoken at the TDM. I hope I was not too hard on you guys..
I'm aware of the product of which you speak and why IBM supports it. (Can I say
its name and the reason here or is that NDA?)

I've semi-retired from full-time hard-core C++ development and product
architecting, so my opinion no longer matters a whole lot. But if I were
setting product direction I would be wanting to know what is the strategic IBM
C++ compiler? The "real" IBM product or the open source download? I would not
want to commit to a new and quite different C++ compiler only to find out that
no, IBM was now heading off in some other directions.

I think -- and as I say, what I think does not really matter -- I think that
IBM needs to stand up and say unambiguously "this is our strategic compiler, it
supports C and C++, it supports 31- and 64-bit, it is our intent that it will
lag only a year or three behind the standards, and it will be our strategic
compiler for the foreseeable future." Otherwise frankly I wonder if a developer
today would be making a mistake to make the commitment I made 9 years ago to
C++ on Z. IBM has a strategic COBOL compiler; why not a strategic C/C++
compiler?

FWIW, POSIX(ON) is not a problem. "My" code all runs POSIX(ON).

Charles