iirc (it was decades ago), WTL drops the exact text into the log.  None of
the ~80 bytes of timestamp, flags, job ID, etc. is prefixed.  So, WTO is
better in that you do get all that.

If WTL suits the purpose though, I don't see much harm in using it.
However, if you have any log post-processing, you should check to see if
it's going to gag on your non-standard messages.

sas

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 10:27 AM Jeremy Nicoll <jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, at 15:14, Charles Mills wrote:
> > Possibly because AT LEAST since z/OS 1.10 (and I think long before that)
> IBM
> > has been saying
> >
> > Note: IBM recommends you use the WTO macro with the MCSFLAG=HRDCPY
> parameter
> > instead of WTL, because WTO supplies more data than WTL.
>
> What does that mean?  Surely in both cases the data is what the programmer
> elects to send?
>
> I'd have thought there'd be advantages in not sending log data through
> message processing.
>
> --
> Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

sas