IBM Z Open Automation Utilities is a free FMID today.
We are changing this to make it a free PID:
http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS220-087/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en

The goal of ZOAU is to provide access to MVS resources from the Unix System
Services environment directly through core 'atomic' services like dls (dataset
list) which works in an analagous way to ls (zFS file list) and so forth for
other MVS resources.

The intent is to also provide these services from the language of your choice -
so base 'sh' is supported but so is Python and Java, and a general DLL
interface is provided so that other language support could be provided.

I wrote a blog about this for those that are interested:
https://makingdeveloperslivesbetter.wordpress.com/

thanks, mike