From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 12:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ZOA Open Automation Utilities

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 10:45:36 -0600, Mike Fulton wrote:

>IBM Z Open Automation Utilities is a free FMID today.
>We are changing this to make it a free PID:
>http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS220-087/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en
>
>The goal of ZOAU is to provide access to MVS resources from the Unix System
>Services environment directly through core 'atomic' services like dls (dataset
>list) which works in an analagous way to ls (zFS file list) and so forth for
>other MVS resources.

A laudable goal.

>The intent is to also provide these services from the language of your choice
>- so base 'sh' is supported but so is Python and Java, and a general DLL
>interface is provided so that other language support could be provided.

Rexx?

There's a formidable barrier between Unix System Services and TSO.
In "z/OS TSO/E REXX Reference' see the section "TSO/E external functions".
Those functions should seamlessly be made available to Rexx execs running
under Unix System Services.  Likewise commands such as RECEIVE.

Mr. Fulton, tear down that wall!

>I wrote a blog about this for those that are interested:
>https://secure-web.cisco.com/1yqwpNF2gzOn-QY7HkOOpQ0JlBU4K1r--uLqHwDN15PX0mvNo4iLdtkcU76BTFcpBKcA2ASw-dUFMHcUxTMsUp1xcQlMSL24OhbFDSex_x7aF7bP9cFCVHutiMQ-r24XJxgKA35LnIx7hQhfNrFLN0ScofG3HCE95_G1lXKCTCOeM1ZsncA6fn4JDAXIGQbnlFo5mu2_iXvTW7t-gp0RJhLTS6K4S7FArJBKuqzhzhu31uneJnxfHcEGjY9BB5f_07IDL4T7Z1OUaYRFKacT4hTR5JZoeWe_4WitEPtuFjSb4EwaCdsLaDzwPYL745QTtlcF4D96_zsNooRrBVNEIoUAblv0Ts9hEZSmif52-bzvvOuO3NYQLXoR_0zovblEIq33fLH-crw4uF1lkKOtAlx6Ta9hqIod5lFLmSDTXGeGkwZeE9SzwZc_KtRgAXNRfbFSQ2o0CumldGZUqdJ0QWw/https%3A%2F%2Fmakingdeveloperslivesbetter.wordpress.com%2F

-- gil