On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 22:09:28 +0000, Jesse 1 Robinson wrote:

>APAR for failure to follow doc. Gotta be careful though. Could turn into a doc
>APAR. ;-(

When that happens, I truly wish I could see the unpublished design specs on
which both are based.  Yes, I'm suspicious that they took the feckless course.

I was once confronted by a True Blue user who discovered a discrepancy
in a program I maintained, requesting that I adjust the doc accordingly
as he had come to expect.  I recalled my (mental) design notes and
concluded that the doc matched my intent and repaired the program,
disregarding my user's expectation.

Besides, it was easier to repair the bug than to fully describe the chaotic
behavior he had encountered.

Worst case: a defect has gone unreported so long and so many users
have accommodated it that fixing it would be more disruptive than
tolerating it.  IBM is too often in that position.

IBM once repaired a long-standing bug in assembler code generation.
I mentioned this to our project manager who decreed that all code in
our product be re-certified lest it exhibit an undesirable behavior change.

-- gil