>did you have an ENTRY BAR statement in the assembly?
I did not. I used the form you and Gil showed of "BAR" on the "END" with
no entry statement (either in the assembly or the bind).

<snip>
Grrr...  But I've even complained of seeing a "I" suffix on messages
reporting JCL errors fatal from the programmer's point of view.  The
rationale is that it's "Informative" from the operator's point of view.
</snip>
Perhaps you have forgotten what message suffixes mean for messages that
are not things such as utility/compilation outputs.
"W" is not warning, it is wait state. "E" is not error, it is eventual
action. "I" is often the only viable choice. In general if the message is
documented in "system messages", this applies (I wouldn't bet that there
are no exceptions).
I don't argue that that was a good decision, but it has "always" been so
and will not change.

For IEBCOPY, its "W" would indeed be "warning". I'm with Charles that if
you get a "W" message I would expect something other than RC=0, likely
RC=4.
So if the argument is that you asked not to replace, and it did not
replace, so that's RC=0 I'm OK with that. But then the message for that
case should be "I" not "W".

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design