Steve:

Yeah I used to use Vonage. When I moved to PA, we have Verizon FIOS, it has
been excellent. I have three machines ( Two Linux's and Windows 10 Pro box
on it and a Synology NAS )  and numerous wifi connections.
One of the Linux boxes is running z/PDT with the dongle, I have thought of
getting a KVM like switch. But my workload has diminished somewhat ..

Scott

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 11:42 AM Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com> wrote:

> Company cars in the US were very popular until the government started
> taxing them with rules that were just too much paperwork to make it
> worth it.
> Now, when we travel via car on business outside our local area, we rent
> a car instead of using a mileage allowance. Usually cheaper and less
> paperwork.
>
> Tony Thigpen
>
> R.S. wrote on 3/23/20 9:50 AM:
> > I don't remember when I observed pagers in US last time, but it was
> > definitely after 2000, maybe 2002 or 2004. Earlier I observed many IT
> > folks equipped with the pager, not the cell phone. Note: it's nothing
> > wrong, it is just a difference which put my attention, like many other
> > things is US. Do you know you have differend curbs and pavements in
> > cities? Not worse, but different ;-)
> >
> > Some of you write about private phone. Well. In Poland it is completely
> > unusual to use private phone for business. Maybe the explanation is
> > (was!) the tariff. Personally I have never had private cell phone. Yes,
> > I use it for private calls, I'm allowed to. In the past (2008, Lehman
> > Bros...) some beancounter wanted to make savings on the calls. After
> > analysis my boss took me to the conversation and obliged me to use the
> > cell phone ...more. Yes, MORE. My monthly bill was approx. 2-3 dollars.
> > Both: private and business calls together. Our company tariff were good.
> > Now I have Samsung S9 which allows to use two SIM cards, however many
> > coworkers still use two phones - private and business. Not to talk about
> > mobile app. developers - some of them have even 8 phones.
> > Back to the topic: it is completely unusual to use private phone for
> > company calls. Rather one gets the phone for that purpose.
> > Mobile phones are quite cheap nowadays.
> >
> > The other difference I observed is company car. My observation is this
> > is popular in Poland and Europe, but not so popular in US. Obviously
> > company car is not so common as comany phone or company laptop.
> >
> > Disclaimer: I talk about IT & financial niche, not about every business.

*IDMWORKS *

Scott Ford

z/OS Dev.

“By elevating a friend or Collegue you elevate yourself, by demeaning a
friend or collegue you demean yourself”

www.idmworks.com

scott.f...@idmworks.com

Blog: www.idmworks.com/blog

*The information contained in this email message and any attachment may be
privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
use of this message and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and permanently delete it from your computer and destroy any
printout thereof.*