On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 19:46:04 +0000, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

>Is z/OS still limited in all cases to 8 upper case characters?  I am curious
>if a user that only has access to MQ might be able to have a longer and
>ideally mixed case user ID.  They wouldn't have access to TSO or CICS or IMS.

Extending TSO UserIDs from 7 to 8 was egregious underreaching.

Still a limit of 8, but for lower case see USERIDALIASTABLE in:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.bpxb200/urprr.htm

Why, why:
o Did rhey do this outside RACF?  Conway's Law?
o Did they not go to far more than 8 when many other systems
  allow a few dozen?

-- gil