-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Saturday, May 2, 2020 02:34

RACF is a popular but optional z/OS component. z/OS is not equivalent to
RACF. Second, if you are talking about RACF specifically, yes, it does use
maximum 8 character user IDs.... But you're not required to authenticate
with them. I (somewhat facetiously) pointed out that you don't have to
authenticate at all, although (as I also pointed out) I'll urge you to at
least perform authorizations. More seriously, z/OS RACF has supported
client certificate authentication since the 1990s. (This feature was
initially introduced way back in the OS/390 days. The OS/390 TN3270E
Server picked up support for it with OS/390 2.9, backported to 2.8. IBM
Personal Communications picked up support for this feature in the late
1990s, too.) See here for an introductory reference:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.ic
ha700/icha700_Enabling_client_login_using_certificates.htm

In this case users don't present maximum 8 character user IDs at all, or
not really. They present digital certificates, and those may be coming
from PIN-protected smart cards for example. Please do check this out! It's
a really nifty solution, and the world seems to be (re)discovering it
lately.

Another approach you can take is to authenticate with the IBM Directory
Server for z/OS (or other LDAP server, but that one is a terrific one) and
leverage a mapping to a "short name." This is the approach z/VSE takes
when you turn on its included LDAP authentication support, and it's both
simple and clever. You're certainly free to submit RFEs for IBM's
consideration if you'd like more such features, such as a TSO/E sign on
screen comparable to z/VSE's LDAP friendly sign on screen.