You sound like you know what you're talking about, so please interpret the
following expostulations more as questions than as outright contradictions:

TS> First of all, user authentication isn't necessarily required.

Me> Sure, as for example in CICS.  In that case CICS supplied a default
userID, and the security guys (should) make sure that that ID can run only a
few harmless transactions - time of day, current bid on the company's common
stock, that sort of thing.  But in that case the ID, even if the user is
unware of it, is still a max of eight bytes long.  Or you could say that in
that case the user isn't ~using~ an ID (true in a way), in which case it's
meaningless to say that it can be longer than eight bytes.

TS> The IBM Directory Server for z/OS supports more than 8 upper case
character user IDs....MQ for z/OS and CICS Transaction Server for z/OS can
authenticate users via LDAP.

Me> I'm about to expose my ignorance here:  IDS and LDAP, aren't they just
IBM's attempt to let z/OS talk to non-z/OS systems?  The same for MQ; the
only purpose of MQ allowing IDs longer than eight characters is so MQ can do
its thing across systems.  The OP's question is about z/OS; if z/OS provides
a mechanism for tracking IDs that I may use on other operating systems, that
doesn't really count as allowing longer than 8-byte IDs internally.

Or put it this way:  If you say I can be authenticated via LPAR using a
longer ID, and then perform tasks on the mainframe using that ID, how does
RACF-or-whatever determine permissions?  The OS asks whether <userID> has
access to datasets or other resources - and that question allows 8 bytes for
<userID>.  Even if I've logged on from some other OS using a longer ID,
inside z/OS the system is still using an 8-byte ID.

---

/* If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking.  -Geoge S
Patton */