It's interesting that a zIIP can be described as a "speciality" engine yet
the workload they run also run on a CP engine.

I thought that they are the same basically and it's just another way to
sell a piece of kit and play bait and switch on pricing.

Years ago we had a 9370 and a company in Melbourne we had some support from
ran an AS400. Their chief was convinced that the only difference was
microcode (and price!).

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 1:28 PM Mike Schwab <mike.a.sch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.eweek.com/networking/neon-settles-mainframe-software-lawsuit-with-ibm
>
> On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 3:18 AM Steve Beaver <st...@stevebeaver.com> wrote:
> >
> > Actually they Did in Europe. European courts sided with Neon
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On May 1, 2020, at 22:07, Steve Smith <sasd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > No.  Neon was a software company.  They sold a product called zPrime
> that
> > > allowed unauthorized usage of zIIP and zAAP for almost any kind of
> > > workload.  IBM already runs much of DB2 on zIIP.
> > >
> > > IBM only allows code to run on zIIP when you have specific contracts
> that
> > > allow you to for specific things.  Neon either violated those, or more
> > > likely reverse-engineered it, which is almost certainly a violation of
> some
> > > other contract they were bound to.
> > >
> > > I don't know any details, but it's hard for me to see how that Neon
> thought
> > > they were going to get away with it.
> > >
> > > sas

> also a

> > > For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
> > > send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

> --
> Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
> Where do Forest Rangers go to get away from it all?

Wayne V. Bickerdike