From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Tom Duerbusch
Sent:   Tuesday, April 25, 2006 9:32 AM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: 3390 Mod 3 verses 3390 Mod 9s

If you were near the performance limits of your current (3) 3390-3
volumes, then you don't want to combine them to a 3390-9.

To really know, you need to know the I/O rates on the 3 volumes.

Also, you need to know what dasd you are actually using.  Modern dasd
(raid that is), with sufficient cache can really substain much higher
I/O rates then we are use to thinking about.

If this is for minidisks and not SFS, DB2 or Guests machines, minidisk
cache will eliminate most of your concerns.

A standard CMS user only does 1 I/O at a time.  So if it is for just
one user, don't worry about it.  If it is for multiple users reading it,
then MDC takes over.  If you have multiple users writing to it, now we

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 4/25/2006 8:03 AM >>>
I have a question that pertains to performance.

We currently have 3390 mod 3 defined volumes.  The customer requires a
larger mini disk size than what will fit on a 3390 mod 3.  We are
planning
to create 3390 mod 9s for their larger mini disks.  Would someone
explain
the performance hit that will occur by placing their data on a larger
volume.  Maybe it is insignificant, but I seem to recall the
architecture
permits a limited number of accesses to the device.  If there are a
large
number of users who require access at a given time, then the users
could end
up waiting for the device?

Please advice.

Thank you.