> So dumb question. If I can't sig shutdown to the guest why isn't
'logoff
> '
> the guest killing it?

It's either still got I/O in progress somewhere, or (most likely) you're
just typing LOGOFF or CP, CP is kindly queuing the input line until the
guest requests it and the guest is never getting around to processing
console input.

What happens when you type #CP LOGOFF? (the #CP sends the line directly
to the CP command processor).

> So then I'm forced to go to maint and issue a force.

You really need a copy of TRACK. Really. It'll tell you exactly what the
misbehaving virtual machine is being whiny about. You can get a copy
from http://vm.marist.edu/track. No charge.

> While I'm on the issue of force. In old mvs days if you had to force
an

> application out it was always wise to ipl the machine to clean up
memory.

> How does VM (5.1) handle the mem issue??

It's up to the guest. z/VM emulates the hardware behavior -- if you
don't clear it, it's the same as it was before. This may or may not be
desirable -- depends on what the guest wants to do.