Karl,

You wrote "Sterling Software didn't want to submit VM:Secure for testing so we were stuck with RACF and DIRMAINT."

What testing?  Maybe CA submitted VM:Secure for that _whatever_ testing since back then.  I suspect that you are referring to some security testing.  If so, your VM/ESA 230 system may be less secure than whatever level of VM:Secure would run on it (if you can even order a version to run on VM/ESA 230!).

And... why would a "new system" need VM/ESA 230?  You do know that's more than a little out of support, right?   Perhaps you meant a new hardware box?  BTW, IMHO even though very out of support, VM/ESA 230 would be far more stable than a current Windows XP!

Mike Walter

Work: 847.771.9233
Home: 847.949.4914

"Karl Severson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

05/10/2006 02:44 PM

Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Protection Level 2 RACF on VM/ESA

Back in the late 80's during the VM/SP or VM/HPO days, we ran RACF for PL
2
(then called System High) processing as it was the only government approv
ed
software package at the time. Sterling Software didn't want to submit
VM:Secure for testing so we were stuck with RACF and DIRMAINT. After we n
longer needed PL2 we went back to VM:Secure. Now I find that I might have

to set up our new system to run PL2 and was hoping that I wouldn't have t

someone seen something better out there?
Thanks!
Karl Severson
Raytheon Company

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.