"Memory is like an orgasm - it's better when you don't have to fake it."
"You can't fake what you don't have".
"In this business, you can't fake what you don't have"

"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use?  Two strong
oxen or 1024 chickens?"
-- Seymour Cray

Scene: 1979 Cray Research, Inc. Annual Meeting
Lutherin Brotherhood Building, Minneapolis, Mn.
Q & A period, after the address by the Officers of the Company,

Q: "Mr. Cray,  ...  Since you seem to have implemented almost
all of the current schemes published in the scientific press
on improving performance in your systems, I was wondering
why you didn't also provide for virtual memeory?"

A: From Mr. Cray:  "Well as you know, over the years I have
provided the largest physical memories available for use.
The addition of a "virtual memory" scheme would have
added another level of hardware and hardware addressing
delays in accessing code and data.
I believe that it's better to spend the resource providing for
a larger overall memory system for the programmer. ...
Historically, this is what the programmers have preferred."