Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> TROUT has never treated SIE as "just another assist."  SIE has been a
> basic part of our machine's design since the beginning. In fact, we
> have chosen to put many functions into hardware instead of microcode
> to pick up significant performance gains.  For example, the 3081 takes
> a significant amount of time to do certain types of guest-to-host
> address translation because it does them in microcode, while TROUT
> does them completely in hardware.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006j.html#27 virtual memory

"811" (named after 11/78 publication date on the architecture
documents) or 3081 was considered somewhat of a 155/158 follow-on
machine ... being much more of a m'coded machine.

"TROUT" or 3090 was considered somewhat of a 165/168 follow-on machine
... being much more of a hardwired machine.

these were the days of processors getting bigger and bigger with much
more effort being put into more processors in SMP configuration.

they had created two positions, one in charge of "tightly-coupled"
architecuture (SMP) and one in charge of "loosely-coupled"
architecture (clusters). my wife got con'ed into taking the job in pok
in charge of loosed-coupled architecture.

she didn't last long ... while there, she did do done peer-coupled
shared data architecture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#shareddata

which didn't see much uptake until sysplex ... except for the ims
group doing ims hot-standby.

part of the problem was she was fighting frequently with the
communication's group, who wanted SNA/VTAM to be in charge of any
signals leaving a processor complex (even those directly to another
processor).

one example was trouter/3088 ... she fought hard for hardware
enhancements for full-duplex operation. there had been a previous
"channel-to-channel" hardware which was half-duplex direct channel/bus
communication between two processor complexes. 3088 enhanced this to
provide connectivity to up to eight different processor complexes.

sna was essentially a dumb terminal controller infrastructure. their
reference to it as a "network" required other people in the
organization to migrate to using the term "peer-to-peer network" to
differentiate from the sna variety.

of course, earlier, in the time-frame that sna was just starting out
... she had also co-authored a peer-to-peer networking architecture
with Burt Moldow ... which was somewhat viewed as threatening to sna
... misc. past posts mentioning awp39:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004n.html#38 RS/6000 in Sysplex Environment
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004p.html#31 IBM 3705 and UC.5
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#8 EBCDIC to 6-bit and back
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#15 DUMP Datasets and SMS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005p.html#17 DUMP Datasets and SMS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005q.html#27 What ever happened to Tandem and
NonStop OS ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005u.html#23 Channel Distances
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006h.html#52 Need Help defining an AS400 with an
IP address to the mainframe

anyway, in the trotter/3088 time-frame ... san jose had done a
prototype vm/cluster implementation using a modified trotter/3088 with
full-duplex protocols. however, before it was allowed to ship, they
had to convert it to san operation. one of the cluster example was to
fully "resynch" cluster operation of all the processors ... with took
under a second using full-duplex protocols on the 3088 ... but the
same operation took on the order of a minute using sna protocols
and a half-duplex paradigm.

we ran afoul again later with 3-tier architecture
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#3tier

this was in the time-frame that the communications group was
out pushing SAA ... a lot of which was an attempt to revert back
to terminal emulation paradigm
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#emulation

from that of client/server. we had come up with 3-tier architecture
and was out pitching it to customer executives ... and the same time
they were trying to revert 2-tier architecture back to dumb terminal
emulation.

then we did ha/cmp product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

minor reference
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13

which didn't make a lot of them happy either.