On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:23:39 -0500, Leland Lucius <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> w
rote:

>Why does "z/VM: Getting Started with Linux on System z9 and zSeries"
>instruct you to setup MONWRITE.  What benefit is there to have the raw

>monitor records rather than Perftk's history?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Leland

None, really, other than helping fill up all of your DASD space....
The only reason I can think of is there might be Linux related performanc
data in the CP MONITOR stream that Perftk can't deal with yet, and IBM wa
nts
to make sure that it's available if needed.

But the good news is that you can run very advanced 3rd party performance

tools (e.g., Velocity's ESAMON) in addition to or as a replacement for Pe
rftk.

Hope this helps.

DJ