On 5/22/06, Brian Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm trying to use PROP to do some tape EOV processing for DDR.  I
intercept the HCPERP2233I TAPE NOT READY message generated when DDR
reaches EOV and PROP starts my action routine.  So far, so good.

What I want to do is use the GIVE command to transfer the the real tape

drive from the service machine that's running the DDR to another userid s
that I can update the message display on the 3590 tape drive operator
panel.  However,  the GIVE command gets message HCPGIV1120E because the

GIVE command does not complete in a reasonable amount of time.  Querying

the tape drive shows there is intervention required on the tape drive (as

expected).  Doing a HALT to the real device doesn't help.

I think I'm at a dead end with this approach, but maybe someone knows a

way around this.

We ran into this with our use of DDR in SafeDR.  What I found is that DDR issues the "MOUNT NEXT TAPE" message and then issues a a TAPE RUN followed by another tape command (can't recall which anymore).  This has the effect of placing the drive into "Intervention Required".  The userid with the tape drive is effectively hung until the drive is reset (usually by loading a tape).  This means that you can't use the CP SEND command to issue commands on the server (with the tape drive).  (If that's what you're doing.)

We studying a number of different ways to get around this, finally deciding that making changes to DDR was in order (along with the associated headache of supporting them).

Please allow me to put on my marketing hat and offer some advice regarding backup/restore/DR on VM:  Take a look at our SafeDR offering (www.SafeSoftware.com).  We have "really good pricing".  We cost justify this product in terms of a few days pay.  Perhaps even better than this is our SafeDR trial policy.  We'll let you trial SafeDR for the duration of your POC.  This eliminates the need to cobble together a "short term" backup/restore & DR solution for the POC.  Best of all, it makes it really easy to let us worry about your backup/restore/DR needs and let you worry about solving your business needs.

I'll remove the hat now (ohh, that hat is powerful).

Thanks,
John

--
John Hall   (+1) 727-397-6373      Safe Software, Inc.
JohnHall (at) SafeSoftware.Com  http://www.SafeSoftware.Com