On 5/24/06, Edward M. Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Could you explain this a little better. please?

> Oh, and have a look at what you're using expanded storage for right
> now. Make sure not to set MDC not to use expanded storage, but use it
> for paging only.

With current 64-bit z/VM in larger machines, we want expanded storage
to provide hierarchy for the paging algorithms. The default settings
for the MDC arbiter often make a large portion of your expanded
storage (as well as central) used for MDC. That's not the best use. So
normally we will set a maximum or bias for MDC in central, and set the
maximum for MDC in expanded at 0.

If you do want to dedicate a huge part of memory to MDC, it makes no
sense to do that in the form of expanded because MDC could as well use
it in central and avoid the overhead of moving in and out.

It's really hard to do this with rules-of-thumb and guessing. There's
caveats with different level of z/VM, Linux virtual machine sizes,
workload, etc. If you have numbers to look at, I will be most happy to
review them with you.
Rob
--
Rob van der Heij