We have one of these - it's been hung for about a month. I created a new userid to take over from the one that's hung. There's no way I'm going to IPL VM to resolve this.

As far as I can tell it occurred because of a tape error during an SPXTAPE, and the operator forced the userid before SPXTAPE had been canceled. In experimenting I have found that SPXTAPE will eventually cancel himself when there's a tape error. I'm not sure that the operator forced it before this happened - there's no way to know - but in talking with the operator I think that's what happened.

The interesting thing about the tape error is this: we were doing an SPXTAPE on a 3490E drive using an old 3480 tape that had never been written to on a 3490E drive. Ordinarily this isn't a problem because the fact that the tape is an 18 track tape is detected and it's reinitialized as a 36 track tape, but apparently this does not happen when you use SPXTAPE. (The condition is easily re-creatable.) I got around this by inserting a DITTO INT command into the exec before the SPXTAPE. I suspect it would be easy to create another hung userid, but I didn't want to go that far! (Actually, I'm about to bring VM up second level, so I suppose I could do it there.)

We're z/VM 4.2, so IBM wouldn't be interested in pursuing the problem. But maybe from this description they can examine the code to fix it for later releases.

The IMMED option doesn't do a thing. The tape error was fixed long ago, and it's not possible to reattach the drive to the hung userid to complete the I/O. HALTIO doesn't do a thing either.

     - Tom.