> So, how do you folks feel about VMRM?  Does it work as advertised?

Sort of. IF your workload changes in the ways that VMRM understands, then it is
actually pretty effective. It's not WLM in that it doesn't adjust task
priorities the same way, and the formulas used to calculate when it does things
are a little hard to dope out. Also, if you primarily have Linux workload, the
formulas VMRM uses don't match up very well with the way that Linux uses CPU
and I/O, so it's a lot less effective for all-guest environments.

I don't remember if the 5.2 code now has the I/O prioritization code active.
It's a no-op in earlier releases (you could code it, but it really didn't do
anything).

Chris Casey has done presentations at the last few zExpos on VMRM and how it
functions. It's worth digging one of those up because the presentation explains
a lot more about how VMRM functions.

I've been meaning to see if one could do more with PerfKit macros -- I think
one could produce something a lot more effective for all-guest environments via
that route, since PerfKit can actually get data from inside the guests too.

-- db