From:   The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of
Mike Walter
Sent:   Friday, June 09, 2006 12:12 PM
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:        Re: DDR to standard labeled tapes

John,

> carry 5081 cards in my pocket

Wow!  5,081 cards in your pocket!?
Must be really small cards or really big pockets!
Talk about playing with a full deck!  :-)

Ah, it's Friday, isn't it?

Mike Walter

"Jim Bohnsack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
06/09/2006 01:45 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DDR to standard labeled tapes

Watch that dark ages stuff, Chuckie.  By the time I saw that problem, I
was
no longer keying on an 029 or maybe 026.  I had graduated to a 3278 or
3279, altho I did then and still do carry 5081 cards in my pocket.

Jim

At 01:31 PM 6/9/2006, you wrote:

>In the Dark Ages (stone knives and bear skins), CTCs were problematic for
>SA programs because the interrupts are generated by the system on the
>*other* end.  The various SA programs that still depend on an I/O
>interrupt in addition to, or instead of, LOADPARM were changed in the
>Middle Ages (represented by the invention of Sense ID) to examine more
>closely the cyberDNS of interrupting device.  3088s exacerbated the
>problem because it was so easy to fully interconnect the attached
systems.
>  Or someone decided that *now* would be good time to ENABLE one of the
>adapters.  :-)
>
>For a 3088/CTC, the channel reset only affects *this* system's I/O
status.
>  The other side can still restart the link and annoy your SA program.
>
>If you find an SA program that gets confused by random interrupts and
>cannot be overridden by LOADPARM, you should probably call it in.  With
>the XA I/O architecture there are all kinds of interrupts that can come
in
>that have nothing to do with "a tape was mounted" or "somebody flipped
the
>test/normal switch on the 3278" or "Attention was pressed on the 3215".
>
>Alan Altmark
>z/VM Development
>IBM Endicott

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell Univ.
(607) 255-1760

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.