With (most) IBM "compatible" 3480s/3490s ... yes.  One exception I can
think of is Memorex which have a "setting" which enables its own
proprietary hardware compression that can not be read by any other
vendor's tape drive.

With IBM's 3590 drives ... only in one direction ... meaning that higher
density drives can only read their own density, and densities in the
same "family" that are lower.  For example, an IBM 3590H (384trk) can
*read* tapes created on and IBM (base) 3590 (128trk) or 3590E (256trk).
But the reverse is not true, a 3590 or 3590E can *not* read any data
recorded by a 3590H ... including the VOL1 label!

IBM 3592s (model Js) can't accept the MEDIA that 3590x tape drives use,
so therefore can not do anything with data created on a 3590x drives.
IBM 3592Es (model E05) are better and can not only read data from 3592s
... but also write/append data.  The reverse is not true, a 3592 can not
read or write anything that was written by a 3592E ... including the
VOL1 label.

With STK 9840s (9840, 9840B, 9840C), 9940s (9940A, 9940B) ... the IBM
3590x type logic is supposed to work for reading data, but we've found
that you can't always rely on this.  For example we changed from STK
9840Bs to 9840Cs based on the promise that the 9840Cs could always
*read* the data written by the 9840Bs.  We found this usually worked,
but not always (I can't recall the exact percentage).  We were told the
"problem" occurred at *recording time", that is was/is not a problem
with the 9840C drives trying to read the data.  Consequently, we had to
re-install a bank of 9840Bs to read those tapes written by 9840Bs which
for some reason can not be read by the 9840Cs.  Between STK drive
"families" the MEDIA is not compatible, so you can't mix/match those ...
9840 vs. 9940.

Anyway, as you can see, the answer to Jim's question today is a very
iffy *maybe*.  The moral of this story is that you really need to do
your homework before you wholesale switch from one type of tape drive to
another.

JR (Steven) Imler
CA
Senior Software Engineer