Yeah, I know, Richard...I was just being a bit of a wisenheimer today....;-)

As near as I can tell, there is no programmatic way to determine what kind of processor (standard or IFL) you're running on. A quick look at the output of the STSI Instruction doesn't show anything about what kind of processor (although I could have overlooked it...).

In any case, being able to determine what kind of processor would defeat the whole point of having IFLs, imho. They're there to prevent 3rd party ISVs (and you guys know who you are....;-) from increasing license fees for z/OS products when a site adds engines to support z/VM and Linux workloads.

DJ

Schuh, Richard wrote:
Come on, Dave. z/OS???? That would add to the license fees. Besides,
it does not satisfy the stated requirement that it be done with REXX.
Is there any DIAG that returns this information? If not, shouldn't it
be included in DIAG 0?

Regards, Richard Schuh

-----Original Message----- From:        The IBM z/VM Operating System
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of Dave Jones Sent:
Monday, June 12, 2006 8:37 AM To:       IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU Subject:
Re: Can I verify zVM is running on an IFL?

Yes there is, James. Create a new guest virtual machine, and attempt
to IPL z/OS in it. If z/OS comes up, then your z/VM system is running
on standard processors, if not, then it's on IFL ones.....;-)

DJ

Sterling James wrote:

Hello, Is there a way to detect the processor type zVM is running
on IFL vs General, with REXX? TIA.

----------------------------------------- This e-mail and any
attachments are intended only for the individual or company to
which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or
unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or copying of this e-mail or the information
contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please return the
material received to the sender and delete all copies from your
system.