Why do you specify MR when you really mean M or W?

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Jim Vincent
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:08 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Define MDisk Question

Your steps are spot-on except for one small part.  You do not have to
let
the linux guest do a DEFINE MDISK nor have class A.   Simply add the
MDISK
entry to the directory and then on the linux guest, do a CP LINK * cuu
cuu
MR to get access to it.   Make sense?

In fact, there is a good paper on limiting the privilege class and
commands allowed for a linux guest.  It is a good read and gives some
excellent ideas on how to protect a linux guest from shooting itself in
the foot.

_______________________________________
James Vincent
Systems Engineering Consultant
Nationwide Services Co., Technology Solutions
Mainframe, z/VM and z/Linux Support
One Nationwide Plaza  3-20-13
Columbus OH 43215-2220   U.S.A
Voice: (614) 249-5547    Fax: (614) 677-7681
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
06/29/2006 10:00:41 AM:

> IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>
> First, apologies as I am a VM newbie. (And a linux newbie, for that
> matter).
>
> We would like to be able to add dasd to a linux's logical volume group

> on

> the fly. We have been able to do this by making sure all our dasd is
online
> at ipl, then we det the dev from system, att it to our userid, format
> it,

> att it back to system and then do a define mdisk from the linux vm
userid.
> We then add it to user direct for the next time the linux user logs
> off
and
> back on.
> The trouble with this is, the linux guest must have "A" priveledge and

> devmaint, which is undesirable. Does anyone know of a way around this?

> Ideally, what I'd like is the ability to specify a userid on the
> define mdisk, so that another ID could do it for the linux guest. As I

> see it,
we
> either use devmaint or have to logoff/on the guest.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Mary Anne

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or
redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this
e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/