Alan Altmark, I think, talked about this a couple of years ago here. Yes, it does use the first it finds, but it is hard to predict which will be first. If I remember correctly, CP runs parallel or multiple commands out to the I/O subsystem and it depends on the order of the responses as to which volume it will find first.

What you should do is define a devno as being offline at ipl in SYSTEM CONFIG.
Jim