--- "Hughes, Jim - OIT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One of the management types near me is concerned
> about TCPIP "buffer
> overrun security exposure" on our ZVM 5.2 Z890
> system.
>
> I am not an expert with windows and linux tcpip
> security exposures. The
> management type is windows and linux fluent.
>
> Should I be concerned with buffer overrun security
> exposures?

Despite what others say I personally have seen buffer
run security exposures in the VSCS SNA console support
in VM where it was possible for one user to see
anothers console buffers, so exposing passwords.
The problem was I believe in VM/SP4 (might have been
5) so its a very long time ago, and once identified it
was quickly fixed, but it was there. I don't remeber
the exact nature of the problem but it was similar to
an IP buffer run type issue as it involved passing
illegal lengths to the SNA *CCS service. We found it
whilst developing X.25 support. So buffers runs are
possible on the mainframe.

> If I
> should not be concerned, how would I go about giving
> comfort to the
> concerned management types?

As others have pointed out the zVM architecture is
different to Linux and Windows. I think the following
should serve:-

1) zVM is less susceptible to such attacks.

Whilst the possability exists zVM for many reasons
such attacks on it are very unlikely. One big reason
is not many hackers have a mainframe and a copy of
zVM. Unlike Linux which can be got for free, or
Windows which is legally available for minimal fee,
zVM is harder to obtain...

This is born out by looking at known issues. Checking
the C.E.R.T. vunerabilty database there are no
warnings posted for zVM (or any other varient of VM)
that I could find..

Note there are C.E.R.T. warnings for MVS, due to the
use of ported UNIX software:-

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/AAMN-5L4Q2J

So again this shows buffer runs may be possible on
zVM. There was also a CERT for Oracle on VM (does this
still exist) which appears also to have similar
issues.

2) Given an attack the window that is opened is
smaller.

The consequences of a buffer over run in zVM are
generally less serious than in Linux/Windows/MVS. In
effect each virtual machine runs in a very stout
"sandbox" Whilst these machines may have additional
privledges its not like on Linux or Windows where the
Deamons may run with effectivley "root" permissions,
and so if a hacker can inject code can control the
machine. On zVM they only gain control of the affected
VM. They can't inject code into the "real" OS (CP)..

So for example if they comromise a web server they can
still only see the web servers mini disks (you don't
put web servers on SFS do you?) not the whole file
store as with Windows or Linux...

I guess at this point you could say you will review
what rights the service machines have....

3) Mainframe are generally better isolated from the
internet.

>From what I have seen many folks don't put there
mainframe near the internet. They open only a few
ports. Much more secure.

> Thanks.

Hope that does not give you VMers too many sleepless
nights.

> Jim Hughes
> 603-271-5586
> "Impossible is just an opinion."