On Thursday, 07/06/2006 at 04:21 MST, Dave Wade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- "Hughes, Jim - OIT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Should I be concerned with buffer overrun security
> > exposures?
>
> Despite what others say I personally have seen buffer
> run security exposures in the VSCS SNA console support
> in VM where it was possible for one user to see
> anothers console buffers, so exposing passwords.
> The problem was I believe in VM/SP4 (might have been
> 5) so its a very long time ago, and once identified it
> was quickly fixed, but it was there. I don't remeber
> the exact nature of the problem but it was similar to
> an IP buffer run type issue as it involved passing
> illegal lengths to the SNA *CCS service. We found it
> whilst developing X.25 support. So buffers runs are
> possible on the mainframe.

Naturally no one can claim that there are no bugs in z/VM.  However, z/VM
5.1 has its Common Criteria EAL3+ evaluation which should give some warm
fuzzies that (a) an accredited facility has evaluated the security
characteristics of z/VM according to international standards, and (b) that
we have an appropriate process to deal with any reported
security/integrity problem.

There have been (IIRC - it's been a couple of years since I looked) around
a dozen or so security/integrity APARS against all of VM/XA SP2, VM/ESA,
and z/VM to date.

We also publish our "Security and Integrity Statement" in the General
Information manual.