Nope.  I'm not sure about "PIPCACHE", must have missed that one.

The "IF" stage is part of the Pipelines Run Time Library (Pipes RTL). See:
  http://vm.marist.edu/~pipeline/

If you are not running Pipes RTL, you are doing yourself a disservice.
There are tremendously productive new stages in "them thar RTL pipes".
Be sure to look in the 'PIPELINE NEWS' (for even more stages) which is
included when you download the Pipes RTL.
Too bad the stages in 'PIPELINE NEWS' have not made their way into the
most recent "CMS/TSO Pipelines Author's Edition" or the "PIPELINE
HELPLIB".

Even 'badder' is that none of them are distributed with z/VM as a matter
of course.  (I don't even want to head it, don't start, Chuckie!)

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions herein are mine, not those of my employer.

"Brian Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
07/13/2006 04:49 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: A PIPE structure question

While this sounds intriguing, neither "IF" nor "PIPCACHE" are documented

in the z/VM 5.2 CMS Pipelines Reference (SC24-6076-02).  Are they stages

you wrote?

Brian Nielsen

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:51:40 +0200, Rob van der Heij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wrote:

>My apologies to the non-plumbers - we should have this kind of threads
>on CMSPIP-L instead...
>
>On 7/13/06, Brian Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Not my goal, but thanks anyway.  I was hoping to eliminate the trivial

>Something that may help in a few cases (which I only dare to suggest
>now that Melinda is travelling) is the IF stage. It does not help with
>stages that split the entire stream (like take, frlabel, etc) but it
>does help when some of the records need to bypass a pipeline segment.
>Like this:
>
>|  x: if pick w1 == ,USER,
>|    xlate w3 00-FF *
>| x:
>
>Normally this would require an extra faninany and the dangling
>connection stuff at the end.
>
>And sometimes it is handy to negate the selection use the NOT stage so
>that you can code the secondary sooner and pick up the main stream
>without the risk of forgetting the remainder. Especially when you put
>temporary debugging stuff in, it helps to limit the number of places
>that you need to modify to take it out again.

>| c: not count lines | spec ,We have, 1 w1 nw ,records, nw | cons \ c:
>
>Or something like this:
>| ..
>| f: fanout | insert ,Trace #1 , | cons \ f:
>| ..
>
>And when you code your own multi-stream stages in REXX, you can take
>advantage of an unconventional way to arrange the the streams.
>My favorite one is the generalized pipeline cache that fits around
>some cpu intensive plumbing and memorizes what goes in and out that
>segment, and bypasses it when the item is in the cache.
>
>| ..
>| p: pipcache
>|  ... expensive plumbing
>| p:
>|

>Rob
>--
>Rob van der Heij
>Velocity Software, Inc
>http://velocitysoftware.com/
>========================

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message,
including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.