On Tuesday, 07/25/2006 at 04:36 AST, Rob Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Under what situations would an OSA-Express used for a VSWITCH
configuration
> be a PriRouter?  The CP Commands manual states,  "PRIrouter... will act
as a
> primary router to the virtual switch".   I'm not much of a network guy
but
> it seems as though the OSA is pretty "dumb" in the case of a VSwitch,
simply
> passing packets to the vswitch.

The VSWITCH would be configured with PRIROUTER if:
a) The VSWITCH is operating in "layer 3" (IP) mode (the default), and
b) One of the guests coupled to the VSWITCH is acting as a virtual router.

That's the only way to get a hold of the packets destined for the hosts
behind the virtual router.  In "layer 2" mode (ETHERNET), the problem does
not occur since the IP address in the packet is not used to decide where
to send it.