From: McKown, John [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 11:57 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Performance under z/VM 5.1

I think I found the answer:

<quote>
 Finally, zSeries hardware supports only up to two levels of SIE. When z/VM runs in basic mode (no LPARs), the first-level z/VM uses one level of SIE to dispatch its guests, leaving one level of SIE available for a second-level V=R or V=F z/VM to dispatch its guests. Thus VSE-on-VM-on-VM runs well (no performance impact) in basic mode when preferred guest support is used. This can only be done on a system prior to z/VM 5.1.0. However, when z/VM runs in an LPAR, the LPAR hypervisor uses one level of SIE to dispatch z/VM, and z/VM uses the second level of SIE to dispatch its guest. Thus VSE-on-VM-on-VM in an LPAR is a poor performer, because hardware support of SIE runs out after two levels. z/VM has to simulate the third level of SIE.

</quote>

From http://www.vm.ibm.com/perf/tips/z890.html

but this is talking about a z890, not a z800. It appears that a z800 can run in BASIC mode. But notice the sentence in red.

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, including any attachment to it, may contain material that is confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or "Protected Health Information," within the meaning of the regulations under the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996. If it is not clear that you are the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this transmittal in error, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail, including any attachment to it, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system. Thank you.