On Friday, 07/28/2006 at 11:47 AST, "Wakser, David"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     You have asked the correct question, since I am pretty certain that
the SIE
> is the problem (older VMs had 3, and that was reduced). Any answers to
the
> question: will replacing a single LPAR running z/VM (and 2nd level z/VMs
with
> 3rd level guests) have any advantage?

There will be performance advantages, yes.  There will be administrative
disadvantages.  This is the trade-off.

vSIE (the thing invoked when the 2nd level system issues a SIE instruction
to dispatch a 3rd-level guest) is slower than the real SIE instruction.
Further the SIE instruction the 1st level VM system ultimately issues on
behalf of that 3rd-level guest has so many provisos, advisories, and
limits, that it will exit at the slightest provocation.  And the time
slice for a 3rd-level guest is a fraction of the 2nd level time slice. The
3rd level guest just doesn't typically get to spend much quality time
alone with the CPU (relative to all that's happening in the 1st level
system).

You can see, I hope, why it can be difficult to maintain production
performance levels for 3rd level guests.  You can do it, but it's labor
and resource intensive.  For development, testing, and QA, 2nd level VM
systems are the bee's knees, but my preference is to put production VM
systems in LPARs.  The z9 EC has 60 LPARs, in case you were wondering.  Do
you want one?  I know people.....

And because this is a discussion about performance, my attorney advices
the following disclaimers:
- It depends(sm)
- YMMV

:-)