It sounds like I have a requirement here.

1. I don't just want to turn off the ASSIGN bit, I want to know who turne
d it on. That seems like a
requirement for basic problem determination.

2. There is no QUERY command that shows ASSIGN status for a tape drive. I
 could automate
running  a QUERY everywhere, but I don't feel comfortable issuing an ATTA
CH everywhere. (Or
whatever the corresponding MVS command might be.)

3. I would prefer a command that told me which LPAR has the ASSIGN. I thi
nk this is called "first
failure data capture".

4.  I don't know if the hardware will provide this information or not. If
 I write a requirement
against z/VM, will it get passed on to the hardware folks? Or is there a
way to issue a SHARE
requirement against hardware?