On Aug 18, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Macioce, Larry wrote:

The prod guest is 1234464k mem and we have 1048936k swap space and smr
is: IABIAS : INTENSITY=90%; DURATION=2
LDUBUF : Q1=300% Q2=200% Q3=100%
STORBUF: Q1=300% Q2=250% Q3=200%
DSPBUF : Q1=32767 Q2=32767 Q3=32767

But the part that's really is weird is the VM lpar timed out on a ping
and this was proven by the VM screen blanking out and kicking back a
658.
When I speak (or type) that the guest goes into a wait I'm looking at
top on the guest. The number will reach into the mid 40s.

How big is your VM system? That's an awfully large Linux system, and maybe what you're seeing is that VM is finding it difficult to get the entire guest into working storage at once. Look at the output of free, pay special attention to how much is in buffers and cache, and resize the guest's real store to effectively eliminate that amount.

Also, what is going on on the system to make the number of eligible processes jump to 40? I'm going to hazard a guess that it's some hideously exuberantly-threaded Java app. Am I right?

Adam