From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 1:33 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Tcp / OSA question

On Aug 18, 2006, at 10:12 AM, Macioce, Larry wrote:

> The prod guest is 1234464k mem and we have 1048936k swap space and smr
> is: IABIAS : INTENSITY=90%; DURATION=2
> LDUBUF : Q1=300% Q2=200% Q3=100%
> STORBUF: Q1=300% Q2=250% Q3=200%
> DSPBUF : Q1=32767 Q2=32767 Q3=32767
>
> But the part that's really is weird is the VM lpar timed out on a ping
> and this was proven by the VM screen blanking out and kicking back a
> 658.
> When I speak (or type) that the guest goes into a wait I'm looking at
> top on the guest. The number will reach into the mid 40s.

How big is your VM system?  That's an awfully large Linux system, and
maybe what you're seeing is that VM is finding it difficult to get
the entire guest into working storage at once.  Look at the output of
free, pay special attention to how much is in buffers and cache, and
resize the guest's real store to effectively eliminate that amount.

Also, what is going on on the system to make the number of eligible
processes jump to 40?  I'm going to hazard a guess that it's some
hideously exuberantly-threaded Java app.  Am I right?

Adam

*
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
and/or
other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact
the sender and delete the
material from any computer.
*