Well, to take that one step farther....

In the VSE world, they have VSE Virtual Tape.  Can go to a VSE
supported VSAM file or via IP to a JAVA platform (such as our PC).  So,
IBM does have the code, just the wrong group.

CA has a virtual tape function for VM which is used for product
distribution and maintenance.  So, apparently, it wasn't too hard to do
it under VM.

So, we just need to combine the code from VSE, with the knowledge of
how to do it under VM, and we can get rid of many of the requirements to
modify a command to support a disk file also.

But then, bringing up VSSI....
I wonder if there is some hesitation in IBM providing a "free" feature
that wipes out a venders chargable product?

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 9/8/2006 10:58 AM >>>
That would solve the problem of using the VTAPE product from VSSI as
the mechanism for reading and writing SPXTAPE files. There would be no
need for vendor defined modifications to CP to accomplish the feat. I am
for that (and I expect the folks at VSSI would welcome it too).

Regards,
Richard Schuh